Monday, April 03, 2006

Will Science Save Us?

I'm a born-again Christian. That's a loaded term. It doesn't mean I wrap myself in the American flag before I go to sleep at night. It doesn't mean I tithe 10% of my income to some insane TV preachers. I'm just an average person who takes the Bible seriously when it says I'm a sinner and that Jesus Christ is the Saviour.

Some people might pre-judge me because I'm a Christian. Christians are anti-scientific and illogical. Faith is a crutch for those who can't handle the real world. All that has been said and more, although not typically by those who really know me (I have degrees in Genetics and Computer Science, and know more about evolutionary theory than 99% of those who call themselves evolutionists).

Our society still maintains a 1950's reverence for science. Science is always right, as opposed to faith which is usually wrong. After all, sensible people are scientific, and crackpots are religious. And when the world's problems get bad enough, the scientific community will solve our problems for us. Right?

Dead wrong. Have a look at this link. Read it carefully. The man is a respected scientist and received extensive applause from other respected scientists. Read it if you dare. Then tell me that Christianity is for the crackpots, the weak and the illogical. I have no beef with thousands of scientists who have good careers and make wonderful discoveries. But I have a beef with those who would put science on a pedestal, and would look down on Christians.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the second "distinguished" PhD. nut case I have heard about recently. The first was a guy who argued that blacks are the natural inheritors of America and wanted all blacks in the United States to rise up and kill as many whites as they could so that they could "cleans" the country. People applauded after he finished as well. Maybe there is some strange disease affecting academics down there.

8:49 p.m.  
Blogger Blake Kennedy said...

Dude, come on, we're Brethren: being anti-scientific and anti-illogical is where we live.

3:17 a.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Blake - I attend a "Brethren" church because it is as close to the New Testament example as I can find. If I can find a church closer to the New Testament example, I'll go to it.

I'm always careful to make sure I don't criticise science from the pulpit. Science has limitations make people do not understand. Some scientists get great press when they speak outside their area of expertise and their speculations are treated as science. And some scientists are just plain insane. Most scientists, including many whom I would disagree with, are decent people in an honorable profession. This is my firsthand experience while I was doing my degree in Genetics.

Now I have a question... if you are so down on "Brethren" churches, why do you attend one?

5:43 a.m.  
Blogger R.J. Anderson said...

Personally, I would be pleased to be thought of as "anti-illogical"! :)

4:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home