Saturday, February 25, 2006

Earthquake

The good news is, we survived the earthquake. Not surprising perhaps, since nobody was hurt and there was no property damage. It was a 4.5 on the Richter Scale, and was centered 45 km north east of Ottawa. We are told that Ottawa experiences one of these every 5 to 10 years. The house shook a bit, Karen asked me what happened, and said it was either a truck driving by or an earthquake. Both of us we surprised when we saw the news this morning.

Of course a severe earthquake in February would be the worst possible natural disaster for Ottawa. No power, severed natural gas lines, no water. Cold, hungry, dark, thirsty and in a big city.

Went to the library today, and because the chess club meets there, there was no parking in the main lot. We needed to park down the hill and walk up in the -25 degree C windchill. And boy was it windy. Then I found out that the book I had on hold had expired. I put my name in for a book, I was number 74 on the waiting list, it finally came in, apparently they phoned, and after we didn't pick it up they sent it back. If I was to put my name on the list, I'll now be number 136. I think I'll bite the bullet and buy the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home