Friday, February 18, 2005

Fabulous Friday

I took today as a vacation day, so I could spend some additional time with the children and give Karen a break. I took the 3 children to the Carlingwood Mall in the morning. Hannah was really quite good. The reason why I mention Hannah instead of the older 2 children is that the older two are really no trouble at all. At the mall I bought a copy of "The Hobbit", having misplaced my old copy some years ago. I also got Karen a stainless steel frying pan (a smaller one to match her larger one).

In the afternoon, a friend of ours had the older two over to visit. They played with her children and had a good time. I was able to get a nap and spend some time with Hannah. It was a wonderful kindness for her to give us a break like this. She had in fact volunteered to babysit tonight while Karen and I went out to supper, but we felt Hannah might have a hard time with someone different, since she wakes up so often.

For dessert tonight, Karen made "Tollhouse Chocloate Decadence". It's like a big brownie with 2 cups of President's Choice Chocolate Chips in it. For those who remember the old Sudbury Bible Fellowship Youth Group, it was amazingly like John Johnston's chocolate sludge cake (although fully cooked this time, unlike the guys vs girls bakeoff).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun to come across this while looking for something completely different. Hello there, Shawn. This reference to John's sludge cake brings to mind John's previous communal claim to fame - his punch bowl and straws, remembering the horror on the Kalleekal girls' faces as John described having to take a straw and each person being on their own to suck back as much punch as they wanted.

11:16 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Yes, it was a lot of fun.

I've been following some people who have concerns about youth groups in general, and would never let their children attend a youth group. Well I think we did a pretty good job of it (not perfect, but on the whole I think the SBF youth group was a good experience and a blessing).

7:16 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my... now there's an old memory. Hi Shawn (and Tim). Like Tim, I was hunting around Google for something totally different and happened on this...

I remember John's sludge cake (eek... 20 years ago!)

I only ever had one taste of it! You guys never let me have any because you were all afraid it would make me over hyper. Good thing I don't have that problem anymore.

Smiling broadly,
Joseph Bowman

2:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home