Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Back to the Blog!

I had thought I would have plenty of time for updating my blog over the holidays, but it turned out the holidays were busier than I had anticipated. Also, I have lost everything I have typed a couple of times, and so now I type in Word and copy to my blog (an extra step that reduces the spontaneous nature of blogging).

The holidays were a nice change of pace. I was on vacation the whole time. But with spending time with the children and doing some sermon preparation, it was busy. I have now come close to finishing reading James Sire’s “The Universe Next Door”, which discusses the major worldviews. It isn’t an easy read, but is definitely worthwhile.

During the holiday I was able to finish reading “The Horse and his Boy” to the children, who are now able to pick up some of the subtle Christianity woven into the Chronicles of Narnia. Books that contain this subtle indirect Christianity are beautiful to read. No, I won’t use them for doctrine. But for fiction, they are a whole lot nicer than blunt novels that have one character retell the “4 Spiritual Laws” for whoever will listen.

For those who are interested, for Christmas I received the 2 CD’s of mp3’s of David Gooding preaching on the New Testament and the Old Testament. With a gift certificate I have ordered a book on “Preaching the Parables”. The parables are a very different type of Biblical literature than the epistles, and have often suffered from attempts to allegorize.

Now I’m back to work. Apparently Sympatico (my ISP) has much better spam filtering than the company I work for. No, I don’t need to order any Canadian Meds. I live in Canada and have a drug plan! I must have deleted 100 emails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home