Thursday, April 03, 2008

Using Time Wisely

I was waiting for a meeting to start, so I was doing some reading on my Palm from Richard Baxter's "The Saints Everlasting Rest". It is a deep book, and not one that can be read quickly. One has to think through it and almost... to feel what has been written. Look at this quote and enjoy it:

When I know so little of God, I cannot much know what it is to enjoy him. If I know so little of spirits, how little of the Father of spirits, or the state of my own soul, when advanced to the enjoyment of him! I stand and look upon a heap of ants, and see them all at one view: they know not me, my being, nature, or thoughts, though I am their fellow-creature: how little then, must we know of the great Creator, though he, with one view, clearly beholds us all! A glimpse, the saints behold as in a glass, which makes us capable of some poor, dark apprehensions of what we shall behold in glory. If I should tell a worldling what the holiness and spiritual joys of the saints on earth are, he cannot know; for grace cannot be clearly known without grace; how much less could he conceive it, should I tell him of this glory! But to the saints I may be somewhat more encouraged to speak, for grace gives them a dark knowledge and slight taste of glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home