Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reflecting

I'm in a reflective mood. Yesterday we attended a homeschooling conference, and listened as a family with 8 children set forth their vision for family life. In some points I agreed and in some I disagreed, but the important thing is that I continue to think about my family and how I can lead them. I know, lots of people would disagree, but denying the truth doesn't change the truth; Biblically speaking I'm responsible for my family. My understanding is that this is about setting a pattern and direction for the family, not about controlling and certainly not about making life easy on myself! So I'm reflecting on the pattern and direction I set. No, I don't see any major changes on the horizon, but it's good to reflect.

Today we heard some excellent ministry from Gerry Benjamin. Gerry is an outstanding teacher of the Bible. Yes, he had a doctorate from one of the best seminaries in the United States, but that's not where he got his knowledge of the Bible. This is the kind of knowledge that comes from a lot of early mornings in front of the Bible, rather than sleeping in. Karen is out right now at the evening meeting, and I'll go to some of the evening meetings later in the week. I always find it refreshing to listen to a pure Bible teacher.

Tonight I was sitting outside reading a book (F.F. Bruce's New Testament History) while the children played basketball. Bethany asked if she could take Hannah outside, and Joel decided to go as well. And listening to them also gave me a chance to reflect. Yes, I love my children very deeply, but objectively speaking I think I have absolutely outstanding children. They are growing up before my eyes and I love what I'm seeing in them. Bethany has become so helpful, and with a willing heart. Joel is spending a lot of time with Hannah, and frankly he's a really pleasant person to be with. Hannah is also growing up, and while she still gives evidence of being a 3 year old, she's fun to be with. I have a lot to be thankful for. I could go on and on about Karen, and I'm also thankful for a good job with a good boss and good co-workers, and I'm thankful for my country. I'm certainly thankful for my relationship with God, between the Saviour and myself. But right now I'm reflecting on my children, and I'm so thankful.

3 Comments:

Blogger JMJ said...

I enjoy Gerry (Jerry?) Benjamin also. Interesting that most assemblies wouldn't have him speak because he's not an assembly guy. (at least he wasn't back when I heard him at my home assembly Oakwood, in Windsor).

He once gave a sermon, that contrasted the jewish wedding customs with Christ's redemption story. One of my favourite messages of all time.

9:17 a.m.  
Blogger Kim said...

We've heard Mr. Benjamin at our church before.

6:42 a.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Unfortunately, with a cold sweeping the house, I missed most of the sessions. I'll get the messages on CD and listen to them.

9:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home