Thursday, September 07, 2006

Reading

I'm really busy at work, but I took a couple of hours today to do some online reading about network protocols. I'm trying to figure out what test gear we need when I don't even understand what the protocols are and what they do. I went to Wikipedia and started with the articles on "Ethernet" and "PPPoE". Quite fascinating stuff. My knowledge of ethernet and TCP/IP is about a decade and a half out of date! Who would have thought that collisions in CDMA/CD ethernet networks is no longer a major problem. No wonder 10GigE networks are a reality and work is starting on 100 GigE networks in the standards bodies. Hopefully I'll get a little more time to read tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Wikipedia! My favorite educational tool these days. The difference is that, for me, I never had any knowledge to start with, out-of-date or no! But I have been reading the Ethernet info too.

10:57 a.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

I did do a little additional reading today about the flavours of PON.

Ellen - I do have the advantage of having studied this for a semester in university and having read Comer's textbook "Internetworking with TCP/IP". In fact, much of the material in that text is out of date, but I did study TCP, IP, UDP, ARP, RARP and ICMP in some detail. So for example, having studied ARP and RARP in some detail, some of the handshaking PPPoE does makes good sense.

8:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home