Friday, June 16, 2006

Lotsa Thoughts

I took today as a vacation day so that I could spend more time with the children. Today was the last day of school, and we celebrated with a field trip. We went mini-putting. Frivolous? Perhaps. But in the public schools, being part of the "Ski Club" no longer means weekend trips, but three and four day ski trips during the school week.

We also went out to see if we could find me a jean jacket. I need a new light coat, but unfortunately it is too late in the season for Sears to carry them.

On the way home we were driving behind someone. I don't know his name, so I'll simply refer to him as "Moronicus". Moronicus was driving 60 kph on Carling Avenue in an 80 kph zone. To be fair, there was a reason; his cell phone. This lead me to somewhat of a moral dillema. Do I honk the horn to try to get him to go faster, knowing he'll probably cause an accident, or do I continue to listen to my two year old scream all the way home on this extended trip. I chose to listen to the screaming.

Signs, signs, signs. Today I saw a wack of signs paid for by various levels of government. The mall had 3 signs reminding people to wash their hands. Then I drove past a sign reminding us not to drink and drive. I was looking for a sign urging us not to become axe murderers, but I guess the "Anti-Axe Murder Coalition hasn't applied for funding yet.

Speaking of the mall, the security guards at the Carlingwood Mall are now wearing bullet proof vests. Makes me feel secure. Maybe if they handed them out to customers on the way in.

Something happened to me that hasn't happened for a long time. I got a phone call at work from a recruiter. This guy was in the SE U.S. and was looking for a Senior Software Development Manager in Ottawa. I used to get these calls every week, before the bubble burst. It's been over 4 years since I got one of these calls. I wasn't interested, but it would be nice if the hi-tech economy is coming back. OCRI says that total hi-tech employment in the area is at about 70,000 and is only 800 short of where it was when the bubble burst. If that is so, it is a quiet recovery. The largest hi-tech companies are still half the size they were in 2001, and there is no wage inflation (i.e. I haven't seen a raise in 5 years). On the other hand, I think it is believable. At one point after the bubble burst, I only had one friend who was still working. Now almost all my friends are working again.

2 Comments:

Blogger COD said...

The tech is economy is definately popping again here in DC. Not only am I getting recruiter calls again, I'm getting calls for jobs I'm not really qualified for. Last time I got those it was 2000.

9:58 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Ottawa is somewhat behind the U.S.A. in the speed of the recovery.

10:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home