Tuesday, June 06, 2006

New Job

I've been on my new job for a little over a month. I'm learning a lot each day. Today I sat in on a meeting of hardware managers, and in 1.5 hours doubled my knowledge of hardware design issues (which admittedly wasn't difficult since by training I'm a software guy).

On a related issue, I'm really grateful for the benefits program at work. In the last month we've had 3 dentist visits, 1 prescription, 1 eye exam and a new pair of glasses for me. All this would have come out to about $800 without the benefits program. Interestingly, our company President told us it costs about 16% of salary to offer a comprehensive benefits program in Canada, but about 35% in the United States (due to additional medical costs).

2 Comments:

Blogger Spunky said...

We are behind on our routine checkups since becoming self employed. Those benefits sure are nice aren't they?

11:03 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Yes, they certainly are. The Ontario government pays for an eye exam every second year, but because I have a very strong prescription I'm at a higher risk for retinal tears. My company pays for the exams in the alternating years. They pay for prescription drugs, but not the dispensing fee. They also pay $200 towards the cost of glasses (which left me $350 out of pocket this time).

I'm very thankful that for years I was covered under my Dad's benefits plan, then a student plan, and now my own plan.

Of course, this reminds me that I'm due for a dental checkup. Thankfully I have a dentist who I know and who I trust. I remember one guy who recommended a whole bunch of treatment and told me not to worry because it was all covered. I plan covers dollars, not pain.

11:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home