Saturday, October 02, 2004

Down but not out, part 3

I still have my cold. Or maybe it's another cold. Anyway, I'm really tired. I took Bethany to the library today and bought an "Exersaucer" for Hannah, but that's about it. Hannah has the cold and didn't sleep well last night. In the end, we put Hannah in bed beside Karen and I slept on the couch. It wasn't the greatest night. I did get a nap this afternoon.

I finished studying for some upcoming sermons on 1 John. I am running behind schedule in my preparations, due to my cold. So I am now trying to push myself a bit when all I feel like doing is laying in bed. I have some really great books I want to read, but I am so wiped that intellectual stimulation is the last thing I want. As a result, I am reading some of Bethany's "Little House on the Prairie" books.

I got a letter from Sympatico the other day, telling me that had forgotten to apply a discount for which I was eligible. Anyway, they credited my account for more than $70. This was a nice surprise.

Nortel is continuing to implode (yes, that's really a word). They announced more layoffs, 750 in the Ottawa area. Two thirds will be done between now and Christmas, and the last third by June 2005. So, basically they have found a way to kill morale until June 2005. The survival of the company was no longer in doubt, but the profit margins were not good enough. Not sure the people in the trenches will be able to swallow this one. They have cut 2/3 of their employees over the last 4 years, and now someone decides the cutting was done in a way that ignored profit margins. Brilliant. Honestly, I think Nortel will be out of business by June 2005. Their is nothing wrong with their business, they have some great products and people, but I think it will be impossible to keep morale going. And when morale is gone, people just will not do what it takes to execute on management's business plan. It's a sad story, and I wish it was different. All along I have had no doubt they would survive, until now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home