Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Random Updates

On Tuesday I took an extra vacation day and spent some more time with the children. I also spent some more money. Bethany is at the point with her music that she needed a full 88 key piano with the actual piano feel (which is not found on a keyboard). So, on Tuesday I bought a digital piano. It is electronic, but has actual hammers built-in, so it has the actual feel of an acoustic piano.

Last night was rather tough with Hannah. We put her down to sleep, she'd thrash around and wake up, and then we'd repeat the cycle. We got her down at 1am, and I also spent some time rocking her at 5am. As soon as the children are in bed tonight, I'm going to bed tonight. There is so much I wanted to do, but getting a proper amount of sleep is edging them out.

I am wondering if there is any simple hardware that allows the recording of mp3 files. My hope is to find an easy way to replace (or suppliment) the cassette tape recorder we use at church to record sermons. I posted a message at work, asking if anyone had advice. Then I realized what I had done. All of a sudden, $200 million worth of electrical engineering and computer science talent, possessing a combined 10,000 years of university education, was suddenly unleashed as my personal Internet search engine. More than a dozen messages, most with URL's included, rapidly arrived. There will probably be another dozen replies for when I arrive at work tomorrow. The Internet is a powerful tool, if you've got access to the right search engine.

My final random update for the day is the interesting piece of news that one of Al Qaeda's guys was picked up in Pakistan. It's been posted on www.cnn.com and all the others, but an interesting article on www.strategypage.com put it into perspective. This is the guy who has been running Al Qaeda's computer and encryption systems. He had access to all of the encryption keys Al Qaeda has used for years. Now the various western intelligence services have the instant ability to read all of the messages Al Qaeda has encrypted for the past 4 years or so. Al Qaeda must laugh themselves silly at all the restrictions we place upon ourselves in the fight against terrorism. On the other hand, every time they use anything electronic, we win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home