Friday, April 30, 2004

Chronicles of Narnia

The children are really enjoying the first book of the Narnia series. I've been trying to read them a chapter each day, but some days I miss and some days I read two. I'm trying to use this as a means of educating my children in spiritual truth, as well as vocabulary development and just plain spending time together. One truth I have been able to explain to them centers around the attitude of the Queen of Charn (as well as the attitude of Digory's Uncle Andrew). Both of them thing normal rules do not apply to them because they are great and powerful. But if law is more than an abstract concept, and if law in fact has it's root in God's decrees in the Bible, then law applies to all, both great and small. I think I was reasonably successful in explaining this to my children.

What I didn't explain to them was that if laws do not have a foundation in the decrees of God (as applies to many laws in our society), then the law of the land has become an abstract thing, and there is no moral reason why the high and mighty should not excuse themselves from obeying the laws which apply to the common people. True, there is a corporate idea of fairness within our country, but it's our idea of fairness really just based on Biblical concepts as well. Perhaps this is not blatant, but I believe fairness is just an unspoken and perhaps unconscious expression of Biblical morality. As people seek to work themselves away from Biblical morality, the concept of fairness breaks down, and with it breaks down a safeguard in our society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home