Thursday, February 05, 2004

General Update

Lots of little things to mention today. I went to the dentist today for a check-up. No cavities. In fact, it's been a decade since I had a cavity. The dental hygenist said, "I can't find anything to nag you about, but when I see teeth this clean I assume you're brushing too hard." So I guess I'll get an electric toothbrush.

Today my new monitor arrived. My old one was slowly getting dimmer and dimmer. Now that I have the new one, I'm amazed at how dim the old one was! This new one is a 19" Samsung 955DF. It's quite nice for home use, although I must admit I am spoiled at work with a 21" Mitsubishi monitor.

I see that a B.C. teacher cannot use the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to safeguard his free speech. He said something concerning the morality of homosexuality based on his religious principles. The statement was outside the classroom and outside the work environment, but the B.C. Teachers federation decided to punish him for it anyway. The court has ruled that their discipline of him is allowed because the exercise of his free speech and freedom of religion may imply to students that the school environment is not an accepting place. I suppose the same could be said about anyone, including myself. I work as a Manager. If I exercise my freedom of speech and freedom of religion in good faith to address what I consider to be a moral issue, in a peaceful and non-violent manner, and in a place outside the work environment, my employer could decide that I'm a threat to their attempts to follow the various human rights codes and fire me. And of course, it doesn't matter if I treat all my employees in an equal and fair manner. Let me repeat this point. The issue is not my conduct in the workplace, but my exercise of constitutionally granted rights outside the workplace. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we have a legal system but we do not have a justice system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home