Thursday, February 12, 2004

Chapters, Rogers, Scrolls and Life

I placed my first order with Chapters.ca. They were offering free shipping on orders over $39. Interestingly enough, they have shipped my order of 3 books and 1 video in 3 separate packages over a 12 hour period. As a customer I think it is great that they ship as soon as possible, but I'm not sure about a business model that offers free shipping and then ensures that they pay twice as much for postage as they need to.

Our cell phone died. It won't hold a charge. It's probably a problem with the battery. I went to the Rogers Cell Phone Store, and I asked about a new cell phone. I was told if we want to stay on our "safety plan" (15 minutes a month, just in case) I would need to buy a new cell phone for a minimum of $300. So I decided to get a new battery. They were out of stock, so I went next door to Radio Shack and got a Lithium battery for less money.

Last night I went to Kanata Baptist Church to heard a lecture on the Dead Sea Scrolls. It was very interesting. Peter Flint has been studying the scrolls since his days as a graduate student. He is certainly enthusiastic about it. Anyway, I felt it was time well spent.

Tonight was crazy hair night at AWANA. The kids looked quite amusing. Tomorrow I'm working from home to try to do the annual reviews for my employees. It's a pain, but studies have shown that companies with an annual review program grow faster than companies that don't. Of course, the same could be said for stock options, but making a bunch of managers work overtime to do reviews is a lot cheaper than stock options. On the other hand, employees deserve quality feedback. As a manager I should be giving that feedback constantly, but the once a year review allows me to provide formal feedback.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home