Saturday, August 16, 2003

Children's Books

The school program we are using has a number of read aloud books, and so I thought I would provide a bit of feedback. The first book I read to the children (as part of this program!) was "Red Sails to Capri". It is a charming book, but I'm not sure it is a good read aloud, for the conversation jumps back and forth between people and children could easily lose the thread of who is speaking. On the other hand, it would make an interesting play, and could be adapted to having only two background scenries - the inn and the beach. Other the other hand, it would be hard to display the mystery on stage.

The second book is one entitled "Ginger Pye", and I am half way finished (so I can't comment on the ending). I think this book is great from the viewpoint of vocabulary development. My children are 7 and 5, and are quite interested. While Bethany could probably read most of it, I think it is better as a read aloud because I stop and ask them about the meaning of many of the words (some of which I don't know the meaning of!).

Of course, we try to be careful in what our children read, but personally I think Newberry Award winning books are better than a steady diet of "Franklin" books (and yes, we have lots of Franklin and Arthur books too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home