Friday, August 15, 2003

Surviving without Electricity

Well, we have some electricity, or I wouldn't be writing this. I am however, using the computer very sparingly to conserve electricity. I BBQ'd last night and tonight. The kids are generally happy, and don't normally watch much TV anyway. The grocery story was crazy this morning - everyone polite and civil, but too crowded. We had planned to shop on Thursday and didn't have much in the house, so I had to go. The grocery store had a generator, but it was only set up to run for 30 minutes! If you're going to buy a generator, why only have 30 minutes worth of fuel?!!!

Of course, I had the day off work. Powering up a couple thousand computers and a couple thousand telecom switches would have displayed corporate irresponsibility. So, I got to spend more time with my family! See, a blackout isn't all bad. Of course, I'd like to thank the guy who mowed his lawn last night at 10:15pm while people were trying to sleep with their windows open. And then there was the fellow who absolutely had to mow his lawn today with his electric lawn mower!

I did some more Greek today (I've done some every day since I started). I'm up to lesson 13 now, but am spending time doing memorization of the previous chapters where things just didn't stick. It was a quiet day, and I was able to do some reading. However, I didn't get much sermon prep done without my computer, and I'm preaching next Wednesday. I might have to modify my prep technique to be less dependent on the computer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home