Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Ontario's Elected Officials at Work

This is an actual quotation from the September 16, 1997 Hansard of the Ontario Legislature, and can be found at http://hansardindex.ontla.on.ca/hansardeissue/36-1/l230.htm

The Speaker (Hon Chris Stockwell): Member for Brampton North, please.

Mr Marchese: Thank you very much. You know that very few jurisdictions in the world, if any -- I don't know of any; there might be -- have housing responsibilities to the municipalities except this reptilian government, except the madness of this government.

Mr Spina: On a point of order, Mr Speaker: That's an unparliamentary phrase; it's imputing the motive of the government and the members.

The Speaker: I don't think "reptilian" is imputing motive, but it sounds to me to be --

Mr Gerretsen: It sure is slithery.

The Speaker: Let me just finish. "Reptilian" is not imputing motive, but it certainly isn't parliamentary. It doesn't add to the debate here, so I'd ask the member for Fort York to withdraw it.

Mr Marchese: Speaker, you were almost on the verge of ruling correctly, I thought.

The Speaker: Member for Fort York, you're in dangerous country here. It's either withdraw or don't withdraw -- that's your decision -- but I don't want to debate with you about whether or not it's parliamentary.

Mr Marchese: I guess I will have to withdraw the words "reptilian government."

The Speaker: "Government" was fine.

Mr Marchese: What about "cold-blooded government"? Is that okay? The other word that you ruled out of order is really the intent --

The Speaker: When did I rule it out of order? I ruled it out of order?

Mr Marchese: You did. You said it was not parliamentary. But if you describe a government that I consider to be cold-blooded, I think that's what that word means.

Mr Floyd Laughren (Nickel Belt): A bunch of snakes.

Mr Marchese: It's the same idea.

Mr Spina: It's the same point of order, Speaker.

The Speaker: A point of order, member for York-Mackenzie.

Mr Spina: The honourable member from --

The Speaker: No, I said "York-Mackenzie."

Mr Klees: Mr Speaker, with all respect, I do believe you have ruled on the issue of "reptilian." In the theological sense, "reptilian" refers to the father of lies. I believe if the member continues to justify his use of the term "reptilian" --

The Speaker: Can we get to the point here, member for York-Mackenzie.

Mr Klees: I would ask that you ask him to withdraw what he just said.

The Speaker: Who?

Mr Klees: The member who just said it and the interjection by my honourable colleague the member for Nickel Belt.

The Speaker: I didn't hear either of them, but I will give them the opportunity of withdrawing if they said anything unparliamentary. Member for Nickel Belt?

Mr Laughren: If calling this bunch of bandits is unparliamentary, I withdraw the word "snakes."

The Speaker: There comes a time when you're going to eventually withdraw or not withdraw, because I'm sure the member for Fort York wants to finish his speech.

Mr Laughren: I withdraw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home