Sunday, August 31, 2003

At least they're being honest

We have a private UseNet at work - we can post for sale ads, ask questions (can you recommend a mechanic), etc. A couple of times a year there is a posting that goes something like this "I was caught speeding doing 130 in a 100 zone. Does anyone know how I can get off?" Then there is discussion about the merits of fighting it in court, etc. Now there are a couple of things wrong with this.

First, if I was caught speeding I wouldn't announce it to the world (and no, I've never got a ticket). You think there would be some shame. Second, it is not as if they are being coy (i.e. I don't think the radar was working properly). Yes, at least they are honest, but the essential content of their message is "I'm guilty and I don't want to pay the penalty". Third, all of these arguments about fighting it in court and hoping the police don't show, displays a lack of moral character. If the police have to show up in court because (even though you admit you're are guilty) you want to fight the ticket, someone has to pay (i.e. the taxpayer). When evaluating our actions, it is helpful to ask what the results would be in our society if everyone was to engage in this behavior.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home