Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last Night of the Proms

I had it in my calendar, planned to watch it via the BBC, and forgot!

So I'm watching some clips. The highlight of course is "Rule Britannia". And as is traditional, there were many flags waving. The Union Jack of course, but also St. Georges flag. And I can understand why the Australian flag was waving. The Royal Air Force Ensign has a proud history, and certainly belonged. The German flag was there (no doubt in tribute to the House of Hanover, though that line "The nations, not so blest as thee, Must, in their turns, to tyrants fall" has got to sting). But why was the guy in Hyde Park flying the Jolly Roger? Maybe the only flag we had? Maybe a political statement? Maybe drunk? But alas, we'll never know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ed said...

Was it on the BBC World Service? Via internet (iPlayer?) or via BBC TV via cable/satellite? They were showing them a movie theatres in town. My wife took our two oldest ones to see it on the big screen.

I watched the clips on YouTube also. I think everyone is flying whatever flag they fancy at this event, especially in places like Hyde Park.

10:25 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Just clips on YouTube.

5:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home