Friday, April 03, 2009

A Winning Way

I have a winning way with people. It's a gift. I always know when to interject a little logic into a conversation, at the exact point in time when it is most educational. People love me for this. Sure, it's humiliating for them, but at least they have the joy of knowing that they are getting smarter.

Case in point, today while I was getting my hair cut. One of the hairstylists was asking the others what seven numbers to pick for the lottery. After a wide range of suggestions, I piped up, "How about 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7?"

To give credit where credit is due, the hairstylist immediately recognized that the odds of winning with that set of numbers are the same as winning with any other randomly chosen seven numbers. But most people instinctively believe the chances of winning are greater with 6, 14, 17, 28, 33, 37, and 41. After all, we know we will never win with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. But people honestly think they have a good chance of winning with some other randomly picked set.

Having educated a whole salon full of people I stopped to admire myself in the mirror. Not only was my educational work complete, but I look wonderful with my new haircut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home