Sunday, January 04, 2009

Growing Up

Tonight my youngest child asked me what I want to be when I grow up. Obviously a question that is on the minds of children and young adults. Even a young child thinks about such things. But just as obviously, it isn't a practical question for someone my age. I'm past the big "four-oh", I have a job, and I really can't afford to start over on something else. Once upon a time I had a dream, but I didn't have the grades or diligence to pursue it. Then I had another dream, but I ran out of steam after 8 years in university. Finally I had a third dream, but the legitimate responsibilities of life meant it was impossible. So here I am. I am grown up. I have a good job and I would like to think I'm reasonably good at it. I have much to be thankful for. But I wish my children wouldn't ask me what my dreams are, because I don't have a lot of dreams left. That isn't a tragedy; it's just reality.

2 Comments:

Blogger ROGER TRUCKER said...

Well, beware. Because I'm looking up your way. At 27 I'm looking for new unexplored paths for the future... not in politics ;-)
Cheers,
RT

3:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm 22, and this sort of helped reminding me to really use my time for what is most important, at the prime of my youth :-D

7:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home