Sunday, June 03, 2007

Software Development

Regular readers of this blog will know that I comment a great deal on religion, politics, society and our culture. But of course there are interests that I have that you might not know a lot about. For example, I've worked for the last 14 years in the field of software development. And the fact is I'm very passionate about doing software development right. That doesn't mean I'm a starry eyed idealist. I understand what it is to produce software for revenue according to a schedule. But I'm very interested in the tools, development processes and best practices that take an ad hoc group of programmers and turn them into a smoothly functioning software development organization. One of my professional joys was taking a team of very talented individuals who were drowning and over the course of the year turning them into a team who could be counted on to deliver.

One of my interests is static code analysis. I'm not a fanatic. This is just one tool in our tool box. But in my experience it is a tool that is usually ignored. I was interested to learn that Bell Labs has developed their own static code analysis tool. I was interested because Bell Labs is part of Lucent and Lucent is part of Alcatel-Lucent, the company I work for. You can learn more about our tool at the VeriSoft web site. If you give it a try, let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home