Thursday, August 11, 2005

Beds, Cars and Friends

The other night, Karen and I were discussing how we could cut back on spending. We didn’t come to any conclusions, but turned out the light, rolled over and felt the bed collapse. It turns out that the metal frame fell apart. So, we put the box-spring and mattress on the floor and planned to spend some more to buy a new bed.

However… today I was out with my team at work for our “Supper Outing”. I parked my Sentra at Boston Pizza, ate, and when I came out and went to drive away, my car made an odd sound. I got out, looked around and under it and didn’t see anything. I got back in, moved a couple of inches and one of the tires gave out. The CAA guy confirmed that one of the front coils broke and punctured the tire. I said to the guy that this was great. After all, if it had happened when I was drive 100 km/h on the highway, I’d probably be dead now. So, there was something to be thankful for. The actual coil and tire are covered under my extended warrantee, and they even gave me a rental car. However I will have to pay for the matching front tire, which will be another $200.

Last night I got an email from a friend from California, who told me he is in town for a couple of weeks. We met at church last night and came back home for some of the great Cherry Cobbler Karen had made for dessert. Dave’s a great guy. The last time he was in town he volunteered to help out with the Nursing Home Outreach. Perhaps the most unique thing about Dave is his family. Two weeks ago he and his wife were blessed with their 11th child. I find this somewhat unimaginable, but he admits that when they had 4 children they could never imagine having 11. Anyway, this is their conviction and they both work very hard to give their children the best they can. Oh, and they homeschool all their children. Amazing. Of course the older ones help with the younger ones, and their church gives them a lot of support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home