Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Current Books and Music

I finished reading this month’s “First Things”. There was an interesting article on anti-Semitism as well as an article on the Death Penalty (which I disagreed with). I find that it sharpens my debating skills when I read well-written articles, including articles I disagree with. In the same line, I have read books by charismatics and KJV-only folks. However there is lots of material in First Things that I do agree with, because it often represents logical thinking taken to its natural conclusions. But it certainly does have a Roman Catholic bias. I wish someone in the evangelical and dispensational crowd was thinking about these issues and writing about them.

I took a CD of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musicals out of the library. I had always enjoyed the song “Memory” from “Cats”, but listening to it again I realized what a sad song it is.

Currently I am reading a book called “Truth Decay”. It is a fairly comprehensive philosophical treatise dealing with Truth from a Christian point of view. Frankly, it is not an easy book to read. I suspect I would have to read it 3 or 4 times to really grasp it, but there are 8 other books piled up on my bookshelf waiting for me.

On the lighter side, I am almost finished the second book of Bill Clinton’s autobiography. My opinion is that he is a slippery one! For example, he talks about riding in a C-17 transport jet and mentions that he had to fight hard to keep it in the budget. But who was he fighting? Were the Republicans trying to cut the best military transport in the world out of the American budget in the hopes of spending more on social programs? Every once in a while he slips up like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home