Sunday, June 13, 2004

Another busy weekend

It's been really busy on weekends lately. On Friday night, we had some friends from the United States come for supper. It was really great seeing them again. I barbequed chicken and Karen did this really nice ice cream cake with chocolate chip cookies in it.

On Saturday, Bethany went to the AWANA program Sparkies day camp. She had a GREAT time, and we heard about all the activities. Unfortunately she picked up 42 mosquito bites, and is now paying the price. Joel came along with me to drop Bethany off and pick her up, which involved 2 hours of driving. I took Joel to the library and then to Chapters to buy another "Eyewitness" book. Then I got a CD for Karen (and myself) and some subs at Quiznos. After lunch I mowed the lawn, and spent some time looking after Joel and Hannah, and some time napping as well. For supper, I barbequed some hamburgers.

Sundays are always busy. We had "one of those nights" with Hannah, and Karen let me sleep in, and I took the two oldest children to church while Karen tried to get caught up on sleep. In the afternoon, I helped a friend get a presentation together on a short term missionary trip he took to Serbia, and tonight I took the two oldest children to see the presentation. I also spent some time playing Lego with Joel, so I am "spent".

This morning after the first church service, I had a conversation with a friend whom I regard as a clear thinker. He pointed out that even while our society has rejected the idea that there are any absolutes, we have latched onto the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as a defacto absolute. I thought this was an excellent point. It concerns me that members of the Liberal party have denigrated the idea that anyone would ever use the "notwithstanding" clause in the Constitution. It is present in our constitution so that Parliament and not unelected judges will have ultimate power. But under the Liberal system of rule, the notwithstanding clause is a dangerous tool, only to be used by unstable conservatives who would undue all the "progress" the Liberals have given us (such as same sex marriage, abortion on demand with no restrictions, etc.). Well, in the upcoming election, we as a country will get what we deserve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home