Saturday, December 27, 2003

More on Christmas and a visit from my parents

I have a few minutes to get caught up, and to provide some details.

In addition to the 3 biographies previously mentioned, Karen also got me "Major Bible Themes" by Chafer and Walvoord. Interestingly enough, it has 52 chapters, and I have heard it suggested that going through this book one chapter a week would provide an excellent grounding in doctrine for a local church. We'll see if I some day get a chance to do something like this (though 1 sermon a week at the same church for 52 weeks would be a lot!). Perhaps it is more suitable for a couple of teachers in a church to go through together over the course of a year.

Dad told me about another one of his practical jokes. He took 4 of his grandchildren (my sister's children) out on a daytime camping trip. He does things like this periodically, taking a Coleman stove and boiling hotdogs, etc. Anyway, the kids took off down to the water and he had a chance to prepare. Having made successful preparations, he went down to the water side, and called them up to lunch. As they were walking up the path, he turned the conversation onto dill pickles, which my niece Keeley absolutely loves. So my Dad commented that it was too bad that Sudbury didn't have more pickle trees. Keeley said that pickles come from cucumber plants. Dad said that this was true, but that some came from pickle trees and "well look at that! There's a pickle tree now!" And there hanging from a tree was a dill pickle. Tristian, Keeley's brother, said that it looked like a pickle, and went over to the tree to pick it. He tasted it and confirmed it was a pickle. Now Keeley was at a loss for words. Finally, she realized that it was another one of Dad's great practical jokes.

I read a couple more chapters of "Detectives in Togas" for the children. I'm now caught up to where Karen finished off the schoolwork for the Christmas break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home