Thursday, May 21, 2009

Wireless Networks

To say that I have had bad luck with wireless networks in an understatement. I had a Linksys Wireless-G network, but it bounced up and down. I laid out major cash to move to a Dlink Wireless-N network, but continued to have problems (continual deauthentication messages on my DIR-625). Even my youngest children would complain that it was time to start the router, and she can't even read.

Anyway, my ISP is replacing their DSL modems with a new unit that has built in Wireless-G. It is a step down, but I thought I would try it. And it is now rock solid. And the cost is the same as my rental on my old modem. Maybe it was the old modem that was causing the problem, but the problem seems to be solved.

Now if only I could solve the problem of my iPod Touch losing contact with YouTube in mid-video, and my Dell laptop that loses track of its wireless card until I shutdown, physically remove it, reboot, shutdown, reinstall the card, reboot and ask Windows to search for new hardware!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ed said...

We had a Linksys wire router and had problems with my wife's Dell Vista machine but no problems with my iMac. Recently upgraded to a Time Capsule with 802.11n and no problems with either machine on the new router.

9:48 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Our old wireless was flaky for XP and Vista. Very odd.

Time Capsule looks interesting.

10:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home