Wednesday, May 04, 2005

General Update

My Dad sent me an email a few minutes ago asking why there hasn’t been any updates on my blog. The simple answer is that I’ve been way too busy. Last night Karen went to a bridle shower and I put Hannah down to sleep. She cried for a while, fought me as I rocked her and then gave up and went to sleep. Then I read a couple of chapters from the Chronicles of Narnia to the older children.

Speaking of C.S. Lewis, I am now reading “The Abolition of Man”. It’s a thin book, but a deep read. I particularly like his line, “We laugh at honour, and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.” To my way of thinking this describes a lot of situations in our modern society. We tend to embrace ideas and lifestyles, which if widely applied would result in the destruction of our civilization. Can this be healthy? Can it go on indefinitely?

On Saturday we had a big family birthday party for all the family members with April birthdays. Everyone was due to arrive at 1:30pm. At 1:20 pm I was looking after Hannah (or more accurately I was looking at the computer screen while Hannah played beside me). Anyway, she started making a spitting sound, which is unusual for her. I looked at her and it turns out she had dirtied her diaper, got both hands into it and then put her fingers in her mouth. And so Hannah learned that chocolate and poop look similar but have fundamental differences.

Bethany’s music lessons are coming to an end. In June she has her Grade One Conservatory Exam. After this I don’t know what she’ll do. I’d like her to continue with the piano (she’s getting quite good) but she is not self-motivated when it comes to practicing. She talked about learning guitar, but I don’t really want her to start all over.

The children are saving their money for our summer vacation. Bethany wanted to buy a GameBoy, but when I told her we would be stopping in Malone, New York, she changed her mind. Malone is the birth place of Almanzo Wilder, and Bethany is crazy about the Little House on the Prairie books and videos. Joel has a little less money, having spent a bunch on a Lego Star Wars Tie fighter. I bought a bigger memory chip for my digital camera so we can take lots of pictures on vacation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home