Sunday, May 23, 2004

A quiet Sunday (so far)

Today was a quiet Sunday. All of us are a bit sniffly from colds, but we were out to church this morning. Hannah was a bit of a challenge during the first service, and Joel was a bit of a challenge during the second service, but hey, they're kids; they're supposed to be challenging sometimes.

I ended up taking Joel into my Sunday School class. I teach the Grade 7 to 10 class. I prepared some material for them on why we do what we do at our church. My goal to to help them understand the Biblical basis for what we do, and that it's not good enough to just do it because we have always done it. The class is a bit chatty, and gets a little off track sometimes, but I'd like to think the kids are learning something. They are a great bunch with a lot of potential. Joel was very well behaved.

This afternoon I did some preparation for a sermon in July, and did a bit of reading. As usual, my tastes are ecclectic. I'm currently reading John MacArthur's book on Expository Preaching, as well as "Preaching That Speaks to Women". I'm reading "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" to the children, and finished "The Right Thing" last night. I've also been leafing through Rosalynn Carter's autobiography (Jimmy Carter's wife) and "The Second World War" by Captain Sir Basil Liddell-Hart.

On a side note, does anyone know why Sir Basil only made it to Captain? Considering he was the theorist for the mobile warfare techniques that brought the Germans within an inch of victory, I find this surprising. He is also well known for his book "The Other Side of the Hill" which is based on his interviews with German generals after the war. Most of them were delighted to speak to "the Captain who teaches Generals". As such, "The Other Side of the Hill" serves as a fascinating historical reference, and comes close to being considered primary source historical material.

Anyway, it's a quiet Sunday night, so far. Hannah seems OK now, but you never know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home