Friday, November 07, 2003

Don't Teach Me Bad Things Daddy

When Bethany was little, I would sometimes fill my mouth with water and fountain it out into the bathtub. She laughed and laughed. But one day she said to me, "Don't teach me bad things Daddy." Point taken.

Now I find I have taught my son some bad things. I was playing the computer game "Civilization II". Sometimes Joel would sit with me. However, I found him encouraging me to use "the big bomb" (i.e. the nuclear missle) to "destroy their cities Daddy". This is not what I want to teach my children. When the missile hits the city, the sound effects turn to an air-raid siren, which scared me the first time I heard it. I grew up under the threat of nuclear annihilation, and I remember being scared when the air-raid sirens were tested. I have deleted the game from my computer, and I am trying to explain to him why I thought it was bad. Don't teach me bad things Daddy! OK, I won't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home