Saturday, October 18, 2003

Bad Day (not terrible, just bad)

I had one of those days where a bunch of small things go wrong. Nothing terrible, but still aggravating. It's Saturday, and I decided I needed to go to work to get some things done. When I arrived, the network was down. I phoned the Help Desk, and was told it was scheduled maintenance. But it was not announced ahead of time. Now I understand if there is an emergency problem, but this was planned. I drove to work and killed about an hour for nothing.

I came home early, hoping to see my family, but they had gone out. I thought their outing had been cancelled due to rain, but at the last moment it was decided to continue. So I came home to an empty house.

I went to Quiznos to buy some subs for lunch (which involves about 30 minutes of driving), came home and found they had given Karen the wrong type of sub. So I drove back and exchanged it. They made the wrong type of sub again, but we finally straightened it out. They were apologetic, gave me the replacement sub and the wrong sub for free, and gave me a card for a free sub. Mistakes happen, and they handled it smoothly, but it was another 30 minutes of driving.

A guy came to the door selling chocolates for "Missing Children". These things always make me suspicious, particularly since everyone has a colour inkjet printer these days. I said "No thank you", closed the door, and then Karen told me she was having a chocolate craving. She asked me if I would go flag him down, but brute that I am, I said no. As an FYI, there was a kid who used to come to our door with a plastic tub full of chocolates and trinkets. He made no pretense of working for a scam charity - it was pure free enterprise on his part, and I usually bought something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home