Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Update

I'm battling a cold. I was off work the last two days, but went in today. It was a tough day but I got through it. And when I got home I found the snow plow had gone by so I had to pull out the snow blower. Not as bad as shoveling, but still not what I wanted when I'm sick.

However, when I finally got in the house I found my DVD had arrived. This is the DVD of the debate between John Lennox and Richard Dawkins. I'm looking forward to listening to it ASAP.

In other news, I just finished reading "Pelelandra" by C.S. Lewis. I found the first third of the book to be rather boring, with incredibly long descriptions of the planet. However I'm glad I kept reading, because when Weston shows up the book becomes amazing. I understand something of temptation, but I never understood the subtlety of temptation until I read this book.

Having finished "Pelelandra" I've started on Toynbee's "Study of History". This is volume one of the two volume abridged version, not the original 12 volume work. Toynbee considers the question of why societies fall apart. I'll give you the punchline... societies eventually commit suicide. Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more to say when I finish this book!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I should give Perelandra another chance. I started it a few years ago, but stopped because of the aforementioned planet descriptions. It just wasn't getting interesting! Apparently I stopped too soon.

12:51 p.m.  
Blogger Shawn Abigail said...

Since you've already read the long descriptions about the planet and how Ransom came to be there, skip to the chapter where Weston shows up. It's incredible from that point on.

5:25 p.m.  
Blogger R.J. Anderson said...

I love Perelandra. I just do, period.

10:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home