Saturday, January 07, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia

Some people say Christians should go to these types of films to show support for Hollywood when they make acceptable entertainment. After all, if we don't support them with our money, they will only make films we disagree with. Others say Christians should stay away from everything Hollywood produces. I choose to reject both positions.

I took my children to see the Chronicles of Narnia today simply because I wanted to see it. The film itself was quite spectacular. While not precisely following the book (I've got to re-read the book to double check some points), the film was essentially faithful to Lewis's story and had clear Christian symbolism. Others have said the children were the heros of the film, not Aslan, but I didn't see it this way at all. The victory was Aslan's. Without Aslan, the children would have been defeated. It was well done and I enjoyed it greatly. One word of caution: some of the White Witch's monsters were overdone for younger audiences.

About C.S. Lewis, I read something funny the other day. When he was 4 years old, he said to his Dad, "I have a prejudice against the French". When asked why he had a prejudice he replied, "If I knew why, it wouldn't be a prejudice." It must be wonderful to be smarter than everyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home