Saturday, July 29, 2006

I don't go to church because Christians are a bunch of hypocrites

This is one of the standard objections as to why people don't go to church. Nobody likes a hypocrite. And in fact there are some Christians who are hypocrites (those churches are not quite as infested as some would lead us to believe). But here is the text of an email I received (personal contact information removed) by virtue of the "Plymouth Brethren" website I maintain. Note that he is referring to some among the "Exclusive Brethren" rather than the "Open Brethren" that I have more experience with. Maybe Christians don't have a monopoly on hypocrisy:


Dear Sir

I found your FAQ on the Brethren fascinating. We are financial publishers whose audience is financial advisers. The British government recently said that only certain religious groups, such as the Brethren, would be exempt from pooling their money in pension annuity schemes at the age of 75. Therefore I believe many of our audience would be interested in helping their clients to join the Brethren to take advantage of this exemption. Can you let me know how this can be done?


My reply was, "You're kidding, right?" I fear he wasn't kidding.

Note that the branch of the Exclusive Brethren that would have objections to a government plan (and this group would be a very small number of those who might be referred to as "Exclusive Brethren") would also distain the use of computers, televisions, any sort of business arrangements with people who are not part of their denomination, and sewer attachments that join together before hitting the main pipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home